You’ve probably noticed that recently I’ve published more zucchini recipes than usual. The reason is that we have so much zucchini in our garden that’s begging to be harvested.
My favorite method by far for preparing zucchini is grilling. Since zucchini tends to be a little bland, in this recipe I flavored them with chimichurri sauce. This sauce consists of a combination of Italian parsley, pickled garlic, Champagne pear vinegar, lemon, lemon thyme, coriander and extra-virgin olive oil. I also topped the zucchini with a little queso fresco before serving.
1. Info for Grilled Zucchini with Chimichurri
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 250 kcal
2. Ingredients for Grilled Zucchini with Chimichurri
- 6 zucchini
- 5 sprigs lemon thyme (optional)
- ¼ bunch Italian parlsey
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt (or regular salt), to taste
- 3 cloves pickled garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons Champagne pear vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested and freshly squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1 ounce queso fresco, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Trim and slice the zucchini lengthwise, about ¼” thick. Sprinkle with salt. Let sit, then pat dry with paper towels. Brush a grill with oil. Place 4 sprigs lemon thyme on the heat for a nice fragrance. Add the zucchini slices and cook on both sides until grilling marks are visible. Let cool to room temperature.
- For the chimichurri sauce : Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon sea salt over the parsley and pickled garlic. Using a sharp chef’s knife, finely chop until the mixture becomes almost like a purée. The addition of the sea salt helps to achieve the right texture. Transfer to a mortar and pestle. Add 1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme, lemon juice, coriander, Champagne vinegar and black pepper. Stir well. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Assembly time: Arrange the grilled zucchini onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and spoon on a little more chimichurri sauce. Finish with the lemon zest.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!