Every mango lassi recipe you’ll find always has the same list of ingredients. Milk, yogurt, mango (fresh or canned), sugar and some crushed ice are always present, though the proportions may differ. To these, I added cardamom extract, saffron (for color) and a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor of the mango.
There’s something magical about mango lassi (Indian-style smoothie). It has the richness of a milkshake without the calories. On top of that, it’s ultra easy to make at home. You don’t have to wait for your next trip to the local Indian restaurant to enjoy a tall glass of mango-ey goodness.
1. Info for Mango Lassi (Indian Yogurt Drink)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Mango Lassi (Indian Yogurt Drink)
- 1-1/4 cups mango pulp (see tips)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk (I used evaporated milk)
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom extract (optional)
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the saffron threads (if used). Add about 1/4 cup of milk.
- Combine the mango purée, yogurt, saffron milk (if used), the rest of the milk, superfine sugar, salt and crushed ice in a blender. Blend all the ingredients for about 2 minutes. While the mixture is blending, add the cardamom extract (if used). The consistency of the smoothie should be smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 6 small glasses. Wasn’t it easy?