Flatbreads are great because you can load them up with whichever ingredients you like. They’re also very versatile and can be served as a main course or cut up into bite size appetizers.
Since I recently purchased a molcajete, the typical, hand-carved Mexican mortar and pestle made from natural volcanic stone, I decided to put a Mexican twist on my flatbread. I gathered diced Ataulfo mangoes, green apples, jalapeños, red onions, Persian cucumbers, lime juice and tomatoes.
The exotic salsa would make a tasty, healthy snack all on its own, but it’s even better spooned onto California Lavash flatbread. Yum!
1. Info for Mango Salsa Appetizers
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 1
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Mango Salsa Appetizers
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 1 Persian cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon curly parsley leaves (or cilantro), chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package lavash bread
- For the spicy salad dressing: In a small bowl, combine the sugar, the juice of 1 lime, mustard, Tabasco sauce and ginger. Adjust seasoning with salt. Set aside. This might sound silly but Lulu’s aunt was intrigued at how I peel a mango neatly without getting the pulp all mashed and mushy.
- Using a sharp knife, trim the end. Peel one side while holding the fruit with the other end. Delicately cut the first lobe, leaving it on the stone of the fruit and make criss-cross cuts, creating the cubes of fruit. Transfer the diced fruit to a bowl. Flip the fruit and repeat the same procedure on the other side. Do not apply any pressure to the flesh with your fingers to prevent the fruit from bruising; that way the pulp won’t be mashed up or damaged.
- Drizzle with lime juice.
- In a serving bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle with spicy salad dressing. Toss to combine. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving to let all the flavors blend together. Serve at room temperature.
- Form rounds of bread and top with the exotic salsa. Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!