I made a hummus pizza a few days ago and I felt like recreating a sandwich version of the dish with a bunch of Mediterranean ingredients. The problem was that I only had pita bread at home. I could have created a pocket in the bread and stuffed it, but I decided to place the ingredients on top of the pita bread to create a meal that resembled a pizza.
Following the Mediterranean theme, I made a cannellini bean and roasted red bell pepper hummus-like spread and topped it with Greek feta cheese, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, pickled shallot, black olives and marinated artichoke hearts. For the meat lovers out there, I would add some cubes of lamb kebabs.
I’m sure you’ve heard of 30-minute meals, but this took me 10 minutes, tops. Try this recipe the next time you’re in a hurry. Beat that, Rachael Ray!
1. Info for Mediterranean Mini Pizza with Cannellini Beans and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Mediterranean Mini Pizza with Cannellini Beans and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus
- 1 dozen mini pita breads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, (I used 2 small peppers)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 teaspoon red chili flakes, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 sprig fresh red creeping thyme (or regular), finely chopped
- 1 cup arugula, washed and spin-dried
- 1/2 pound Greek feta cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 Meyer lemons (or regular lemons), freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, coarsely chopped
- 1 dozen black olives, sliced
- 6 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 teaspoons curly parsley
- a drizzle chili garlic oil (optional), about 2 tablespoons
- For the pita bread: Lightly brush the mini pita bread with olive oil. Place the pieces onto a hot griddle. Cook until you get nice grill marks (about 2 minutes on each side) over medium heat. Remove from the pan. As soon as the bread is ready, drizzle with half the amount of a lemon juice and season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Set aside.
- Pickling the shallot: Peel and thinly slice the shallot; mince finely. Place the minced shallot in a bowl, sprinkle with some brown sugar and drizzle with half the amount of a lemon juice. Set aside.
- For the cannellini bean and roasted red bell pepper "hummus": In a mini-food processor, combine the cannellini beans, pickled shallot, garlic, thyme, paprika, roasted red bell peppers, remaining lemon juice, red chili flakes and remaining olive oil. Pulse until smooth. (if the spread is to thick, add up to 2 tablespoons of water). Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Chill in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to "broil" setting.
- Assembly time: Spread about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the cannellini bean and roasted red bell pepper "hummus" onto each pita bread. Garnish with some Greek feta cheese, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and marinated artichoke hearts. Place the mini-pizzas on a baking sheet and broil them for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Garnish with some arugula and curly parsley. Finish with a drizzle of chili garlic oil if you like.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!