Navets persillés are roasted turnips in curly parsley butter. Roasting vegetables brings out great flavors and the addition of butter brings a nutty aroma.
Curly parsley and tarragon make the dish pop with a bright green color. I added tarragon for a nice licorice flavor.
Navets persillés are a nice accompaniment to any kind of meat. I served them with the pheasant I made for my 4-course French meal in honor of the movie “Julie and Julia”.
In France, every meal is served with a piece of bread on the side, generally sliced baguette. The meal is usually composed of a salad, a meat or fish accompanied by a vegetable and the essential piece of baguette. No other carb is necessary.
1. Info for Navets Persilles (Roasted Turnips in Tarragon Parsley Butter)
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 299kcal
2. Ingredients for Navets Persilles (Roasted Turnips in Tarragon Parsley Butter)
- 12 turnips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 sprig tarragon, stemmed, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons curly parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for greasing the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Reserve about 1 tablespoon of curly parsley for garnish.
- In a bowl, mix the butter, garlic, tarragon, parsley and salt. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the turnips. Trim the root. Blanch the vegetables for about 3 minutes in boiling water then transfer into an ice bath. Drain thoroughly of all water and pat dry on a paper towel. Do not overcook, as the turnips will continue to cook in the oven later. With a pairing knife, make a deep criss-cross incision on top of the vegetable, to stuff with the butter. Work the flavored butter into the incisions and all over the outside of the turnips as well.
- Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Place the turnips without crowding them. Roast the turnips for 20-30 minutes, until slightly browned and softened. 5 minutes before the end of cooking time, drizzle the lemon juice over the turnips. Season with more salt if necessary. Garnish with the remaining parsley.
- Serve immediately with your favorite meat.
- Bon appétit!