Using the kimchi from yesterday’s post, I made a dish today for true vegetarians and vegans like my Aunt Elise. She is a monk from Vietnam who’s currently visiting us, and one of her favorite meals is mock scrambled eggs with kimchi. The mock scrambled eggs are actually scrambled boiled tofu. Today, I made mine with turmeric and green onions.
The fluffiness of the tofu complements the salty flavor of the kimchi well. Lulu’s New Year’s resolution has been to exercise and live a healthier life. He’s enrolled at the gym and has been going regularly. My way of supporting his effort is by making quick, healthy meals and snacks that are tasty and good for him.
1. Info for Scrambled Tofu and Kimchi
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 91kcal
2. Ingredients for Scrambled Tofu and Kimchi
- 1-1/2 cups kimchi
- 10 ounces scrambled egg tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (or plain garlic)
- 6 ounces firm tofu, (1/2 package)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- Drain and pat the kimchi dry using paper towels. Thinly slice it.
- Slice the 6-ounce tofu piece into 1/2-inch thick pieces. In a non-stick pan, heat the oil. Pan-fry the tofu slices until slightly golden. Don’t overcook the pieces or they’ll start to get hard. The tofu should still be moist. Transfer the tofu to a plate. Once the tofu is cool enough to handle, cut the pieces into thin strips. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the shallots. Cook until slightly golden over high heat. Add the ginger garlic paste. Cook for another minute. Add the tofu strips. Give them a little color with the turmeric powder. Add the scrambled tofu (don’t overcrowd the pan). Stir occasionally to prevent the tofu from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add the green onions. Finish with the shredded kimchi. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Check seasoning.
- Serve warm on a piece of toast.
- Bon appétit!