Savory tarts are a great option for a light meal. Yesterday I prepared one of little Aria’s favorites. The open-faced tart was filled with smoked salmon, marinated artichokes, pearl onions, ricotta cheese and dill.
Paired with mixed greens, we enjoyed a wonderful, refined meal that could possibly be suitable for a Valentine’s Day meal if you feel like serving food a bit out of the ordinary and want something extra tasty.
1. Info for Smoked Salmon Artichoke Tart
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Smoked Salmon Artichoke Tart
- 10 ounces puff pastry dough
- ¼ (1-pound) bag frozen pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- 6 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, freshly ground
- ¼ cup artichoke spread (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll out the dough into a 13-inch dough round.
- Transfer to a round, non-stick, loose-bottomed, (9-inch) tart mold. Following the curve of the mold, crimp the dough against the edge and cut a little excess above the edge (the dough will shrink a bit while it bakes). Bake for 20 minutes, then let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add the pearl onions and cook until golden. Add butter and sprinkle with sugar. Continue cooking until caramelized. Set aside and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, crack the egg. Add the fresh basil, dill and pepper. Beat the egg, then add the ricotta cheese and bread crumbs. Mix well. Lastly, add the sliced smoked salmon (reserving a bit for garnish). Mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the tart shell with the artichoke spread. Top with the caramelized pearl onions. Cover with salmon ricotta filling. Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes; reduce the temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a green salad.
- Bon appétit!