This is an upscale version of traditional "moules frites", Belgian bistro-style mussels and fries. I substituted clams for mussels and sweet potato fries for regular French fries.
The clams are cooked in delicious cherry tomatoes and a pinch of saffron. I’m a little disappointed with the number of ripe tomatoes I was able to pick this morning because of the horrible weather we’ve had this year in the Bay Area. Nonetheless the tomatoes still tasted incredibly sweet and delicious.
1. Info for Spicy Clams in Saffron Tomato Sauce
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Spicy Clams in Saffron Tomato Sauce
- 3 pounds fresh clams, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved
- 1 fresh chile, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon whole pink peppercorns
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes until golden. Add the clams (remove and discard any opened ones). Add the chile, dry white wine and 1 to 1½ cups water. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes and saffron and cook over high heat for 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cilantro, then turn off the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. The clams should open; discard any that do not.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with lime juice. Serve with sweet potato fries on the side.