I’ve already made several versions of risotto like the Asian Fusion Bamboo one or the more traditional cremini mushroom risotto. Today was a very cold and rainy day, so I decided to make another risotto. This version is risotto with broccoli, Lulu’s favorite. Broccoli pairs great with cheddar cheese, and is a great flavor and color accent to the risotto. It’s slightly upscale comfort food that your family will love.
1. Info for Vegetarian Broccoli Risotto
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Servings: 2
- Calories: 326 kcal
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Broccoli Risotto
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets and stems
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup melon-seed-shaped pasta
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 2 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth, warm
- 1 1/2 tsp fleur de sel
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1/3 cup aged yellow cheddar, shredded
- 2 Tbs parmesan cheese, + extra, to taste and for garnish
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbs curly parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs truffle butter
- Wash the broccoli, then separate the florets from the stems.
- In a pan filled with boiling water, add a tsp of oil. Blanch the broccoli stems first, cook for 3 minutes in boiling water then add the broccoli florets and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath. Drain, then dry thoroughly of all water, then pat dry on a paper towel. Roughly chop.
- In a deep saucepan, get garlic cloves golden in oil. Transfer the cloves on a plate and set aside. In the same saucepan, add shallot, stir until light golden, then saute the broccoli for about 2 minutes to get a fragrant onion-y scent. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Remove from the heat and transfer to the same plate with the garlic cloves. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of butter and wait until it bubbles. Add the garlic until light golden, then add the pasta and rice. The butter should coat all the grains. Pour 1 cup of broth and stir constantly.
- After bringing the liquid to a boil, add garlic powder and cheddar then lower the heat to medium low for about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and add the broccoli stems. Check the liquid and periodically add 1/4 cup of stock when all the liquid is absorbed. Let simmer for another 15 minutes.
- When rice is almost cooked, add the broccoli florets and parmesan cheese and truffle butter. Adjust seasonning with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle curly parsley and more parmesan before serving.
- Bon appétit!