I personally love homemade turkey gravy with all the caramelized bits and drippings of the roasted turkey, so I was a bit skeptical when Lulu asked me to try his vegetarian miso gravy recipe. I couldn’t believe that it would have the complexity of flavors that are present in traditional giblet gravy, but to my surprise, it was absolutely delicious.
Miso is fermented soy bean paste, and it imparts a strong, earthy flavor to the gravy. For additional flavor I added fried onions and chili flakes. Butter and a touch of heavy cream created a rich texture.
Even if you don’t have a gaggle of vegetarians in your house as I do, it’s worth trying out this recipe.
1. Info for Vegetarian Gravy for Thanksgiving
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 3
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Gravy for Thanksgiving
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fried onions (see tips)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1-2/3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, up to 2 cups depending on how thin you like the gravy
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- In a mini-blender (or a regular blender if you don’t have a small one), coarsely pulse the fried onions, miso paste, red chili flakes (if used) and about 1/4 cup of warm vegetable broth. Add the cream (if used). Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 3-1/2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour. Whisk for approximately 2 minutes. The flour should absorb the butter instantly and form a paste. Add the warm vegetable broth in 2 stages (for a total of 1-2/3 cups of vegetable broth). Increase the heat while constantly stirring for about 5 minutes. Add the miso mixture. Lower the heat to low. Add soy sauce. Season with pepper. Mix well. Cover the sauce with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter to keep it from forming a skin.
- When you’re ready to serve, warm the sauce. Add the remaining vegetable broth if needed, until you reach the desired thickness.
- Serve it warm in a gravy cup. Gravy is perfect with biscuits, roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes.
- C’est délicieux!