Here’s a healthy and tasty version of the usually greasy fast food fare. My husband loves Mexican food, so I make this for him whenever he has a craving for it. The great thing about learning this recipe is that you can reuse the filling in many other recipes – burritos, enchiladas, soft tacos, nachos, etc. – by just adding / exchanging a few ingredients.
If you’re serving them for a couple of people, you can definitely assemble them before plating. But if it’s for a party, just prepare each part separately and let you guests put them together as they like. It’ll save you time, and everyone will get their tacos exactly the way they like them.
1. Info for Vegetarian Tacos
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 2
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Tacos
- 6 yellow corn taco shells
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- 8 oz black beans, (can), drained
- 1/2 pack tofu, slightly boiled, drained
- 1/2 cup chunky tomato sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs cilantro, finely chopped
- 3/4 3/4 brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 Tbs salsa
- 3 Tbs guacamole
- 2 Tbs sour cream
- 3 Tbs shredded jack cheese and mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a bowl, mix the shredded lettuce with the salsa.
- Mash the boiled tofu in a plate and set aside
- In a small, bowl, dissolve the cornstarch, the garlic, cayenne and cumin powders in water.
- In a medium sauce pan, saute the shallots in the olive oil and cook until the color is slightly golden. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the fried shallots in a bowl. Add the tofu to the sauce pan and cook for about 3 minutes over high heat. Add the tomato sauce, dried oregano, red pepper flakes and salt. When the tomato sauce is hot, add the cornstrach water. Don’t forget to stir the cornstarch water one more time before blending it into the tomato sauce, otherwise the sauce will get lumpy. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Add the cilantro. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the black beans to the bowl with fried shallots and heat in a small sauce pan.
- Assemble the tacos. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of aluminum foil. Spoon a little rice, black beans and tofu into each individual taco shell. Sprinkle with cheese. Place the tacos on the baking sheet and heat in the oven for 3 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven.
- Add a dollop of sour cream in each taco, spoon some guacamole and a little lettuce/salsa and finish with cheese.
- Bon appétit!