I had leftover bean sprouts from a large pot of phở over the weekend, and I decided to make a salad with it. The color of the bean sprouts needed a little oomph, so I added shredded red cabbage. In addition to the red cabbage, I also used diced Fuji apples.
Given the Asian flair of the salad, I made a peanut, lime and condensed milk vinaigrette. This is a very quick and easy first course, which gave me some time to work on a delicious dessert to satisfy my husband’s sweet tooth for Valentine’s Day.
1. Info for Red Cabbage and Bean Sprout Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 121kcal
2. Ingredients for Red Cabbage and Bean Sprout Salad Recipe
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 Fuji apple
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 1-½ tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon ponzu soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 tablespoon chervil, chopped
- Juice the lime.
- Core and dice the apple (no need to peel). Place the apple pieces in a large serving bowl. Coat them in 1 tablespoon of lime juice to prevent oxidation of the fruit. In a bowl, combine the rest of the lime juice, condensed milk, peanut butter and ponzu soy sauce. Whisk well. Add both oils. Season with black pepper.
- Prepping the cabbage: Quarter the cabbage through the root. Thinly shred the cabbage using the appropriate blade of a food processor or a mandoline. Gather the cabbage in the same serving bowl. Toss well.
- When ready to serve, add the bean sprouts and the salad dressing. Toss well. Garnish with chopped chervil.
- Bon appétit!