I made a crisp, raw kale salad with roasted butternut squash, toasted pine nuts and crumbled gorgonzola. It’s a one-dish meal you can make in large batches, pack in tupperware and eat when you’re on-the-go.
I flavored the salad with a yogurt dressing and a touch of gorgonzola for extra flavor. The health-conscious can omit the cheese, of course.
1. Info for Roasted Butternut Squash and Raw Kale Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Roasted Butternut Squash and Raw Kale Salad Recipe
- 10 ounces fresh kale
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pickled onions, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
3.1 Prepping the kale
Wash the raw kale thoroughly in several baths. Remove and discard the fibrous and older parts of the stems.
Prepping hte mushrooms: In a small bowl, combine the mushrooms slices and lemon juice. Toss well.
3.2 Roasting the butternut squash
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel and dice the butternut squash into 1″ cubes. In a bowl, toss the diced butternut squash in 1 tablespoon honey, garlic, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Place the butternut squash pieces without crowding them. Roast for 30 minutes, until golden and softened. Let cool.
3.3 For the yogurt dressing
In a mini blender (or a regular blender if you don’t have a mini), combine the mustard, remaining honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon gorgonzola, yogurt and garlic. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and briefly pulse 2-3 times.
3.4 Assembly time
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dressing and kale. Toss well. Top with mushrooms, pickled onions, roasted butternut squash and pine nuts. Sprinkle with crumbled gorgonzola.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
4. Tips and advices:
- You could replace the butternut squash with pumpkin, acorn squash, sweet potatoes or your favorite winter vegetable.