There are many ways of preparing Brussels sprouts. My favorite is probably roasting them but this can take a long time. This is a different approach with 3 steps: boiling, roasting and sautéing the vegetable. To add extra sweetness I cooked them with baby carrots.
I combined the carrots and Brussels sprouts with pasta, which is a great strategy for tempting my little one to eat healthy, nutritious food. The pasta sauce consisted of simple tomato sauce, Pecorino cheese and a bit of almond butter for extra protein. Voilà!
1. Info for Roasted Carrot and Brussels Sprout Pasta Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Roasted Carrot and Brussels Sprout Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 6 ounces baby carrots
- 1 pound your favorite pasta, cooked (save some of the water when draining the pasta)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons curly parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 (7.4-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- 3 tablespoons chunky almond butter
- 4 tablespoons Pecorino cheese, shaved
- Trim the ends of the Brussels sprouts. Using a paring knife, make a deep criss-cross incision at the bottom of the vegetables. That way they’ll still hold together and will be cooked through.
- Place them with the carrots in a small pot and cover with enough cold water to barely cover the vegetables. Bring to a full boil, then lower the heat to medium-high. Cook for 12 minutes. Drain the vegetables, leaving about 4-5 in the pot; continue to cook them until very soft. Drain them. Once the veggies are cool enough to handle and have dried (with no excess water), drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons oil. Season with 1 clove garlic, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the vegetables on an oiled baking sheet. Roast for about 20-25 minutes. When there’s a nice brown crust, your veggies are ready! Assembly: In a large non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the remaining garlic and shallot and cook until golden and fragrant. Add the cooked pasta and toss for 2-3 minutes until lightly brown and fragrant. If the pasta starts sticking to the bottom, add a little pasta water. Transfer to a platter. Add the tomato sauce to the pan. Thicken the sauce with almond butter and Pecorino cheese. You can thin the sauce with a bit of pasta water. Turn off the heat and add the Brussels sprout and carrots. Lastly, return the pasta and mix until well coated. Add more salt if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!