This morning, I prepared a batch of savory cake batter. I flavored it with fresh herbs from the garden, goat cheese, cream cheese, garlic and shiitake mushrooms. I baked them later in the day and had already prepared a garlic herb goat cheese spread to go along with the savory treats. It was ”un délicieux en-cas”, which literally means in French a ”delicious in case of [I get hungry]”!
1. Info for Savory Muffin Recipe: Mushroom Cream Cheese Muffins
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 18
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Savory Muffin Recipe: Mushroom Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (or any neutral oil)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, cut into thirds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small pan, heat the oil and fry the garlic until light golden.
- In small bowl, combine the herbs (tarragon, thyme and oregano), goat cheese, cream cheese and garlic. Soften the mixture with a little milk. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg with the sugar for about 4-5 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, garlic powder and red chili powder. Sift all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Mix well. Add milk and butter. Add the cheese mixture and diced mushrooms.
- Place a cupcake liner in each mold. Pour in the cake batter. Sprinkle the tops with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400°F; lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for another 25-30 minutes. A skewer or a toothpick inserted into the muffin should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the herb cheese spread.
- Bon appétit!