Today, I made cream of tomato soup and decided I would replicate the same flavors in cornbread muffins. I find that cornbread muffins are a great accompaniment when teamed up with a nice bowl of warm soup. I added chopped sun-dried tomatoes and sour cream to the batter as well as small chunks of Comté cheese. The cheese gave a fruity and salty note to the muffins.
I think the addition of sour cream makes for super moist cornbread muffins. Of course, they taste best piping hot right from the oven, but they still taste great the following day.
1. Info for Sour Cream Cornbread Muffin Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Sour Cream Cornbread Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-¼ teaspoons salt
- 5 small whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or crème fraîche
- ¼ cup herb sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 1/3 cup Comté cheese, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add honey, milk, sour cream, butter and extra virgin olive oil. Stir well until smooth and wet. For a light result, do not over-mix.
- Place a cupcake liner in each mold. Pour in the cornbread batter. Add sun-dried tomatoes (see tips) and top with the diced cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 375°F; lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for about 30 minutes. Rotate the pan for even baking and cook for 10-12 more minutes. A skewer or a toothpick inserted into the cornbread should come out clean. Remove from the oven.
- Garnish with a piece of Comté cheese and sun-dried tomato as a reminder of the flavors in the cornbread.
- Bon appétit!