Mac n’ Cheese doesn’t need the macaroni to be amazing. We’ve replaced the mac with toasty cauliflower and added some green peas so we can enjoy this indulgent dish with a little less guilt. Whether you are attempting low-carb living or making Mondays meatless, you won’t feel a void on this plate. We still have a dangerously addicting cheese sauce, using an amalgam of cheeses, that will coat our beautiful veggies with a velvety blanket of cheesy goodness.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Cauli and Peas Mac n’ Cheese.
1. Info for Cauli and Peas Mac n’ Cheese
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Servings: 2
2. Ingredients for Cauli and Peas Mac n’ Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower (leaves and core included)
- 2 cups cheese (parmesan, white cheddar, little nubs of fancy cheese…etc.)
- 1 cup frozen peas (no need to thaw)
- 3 slices white bread (can be from freezer)
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- olive oil (staples)
- Salt (staples)
- Pepper (staples)
- 3 tablespoons butter (staples)
- 3 tablespoons flour (staples)
- 1 ½ cups milk (staples)
- Equipment: large oven-safe pan for cauliflower, small pot for cheese sauce, grater, small pan for bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to broil. Grab your cauliflower and cut it into quadrants. Flip each quadrant on its side and sneak your knife between the core and the florets. Break the florets apart into bite-sized pieces. Rough chop the core and the leaves, yes, the leaves too! Place all the cauliflower in a large pan. Generously drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place pan in the broiler for 10 minutes.
- Grab a small pot to begin the cheese sauce. Melt butter in the pan to begin making a roux as the base for the sauce. Add flour to the butter and stir to combine. Cook over medium/high heat until flour is completely dissolved and the roux has deep blonde color. Now whisk in the milk, reserving a bit in case we need to thin out the sauce later. Continue to cook, allowing the sauce to thicken until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- Now grate all of your cheese and set aside. Save any leftover cheese rinds! Once your sauce has reached the right consistency, turn off the heat under the pot (see why below). Add the grated cheese to the pot and stir. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the frozen peas and keep warm.
- Next, let’s toast up some bread crumbs for a crunchy garnish. Get a small pan warming on the stove. Cut your bread into little cubes and add to the hot pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Toss over high heat to crisp.
- Now remove your cauliflower from the oven, it should be slightly browned but still have a crunch. Next, pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Plate the mac n’ cheese, top with toasted bread crumbs, and finish it off with a final grade of cheese on top.