Tofu is probably the ingredient I cook the most. Since there are five vegetarians in my home, I’ve learned to deep-fry, stir-fry, sauté, boil and grill tofu. My husband Lulu isn’t a strict vegetarian; he eats eggs only if they’re blended in desserts and the egg taste isn’t detectable. He wouldn’t eat eggs in the form of an omelet or scrambled eggs. I came up with this vegan egg substitute by boiling tofu as a first step, then scrambling the tofu, then finally sautéing it with turmeric to replicate the color of real eggs.
I cooked the mock scrambled eggs with French green beans and served it with steamed jasmine rice. This meal is complete while remaining healthy and still very tasty. Bon appétit!
1. Info for Tofu Scramble Recipe with Green Beans
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Tofu Scramble Recipe with Green Beans
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu (see tips)
- 8 ounces green beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into quarters
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Prepping the tofu: Cut the tofu into ½-inch slices. Blanch the tofu for about 3-4 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain the liquid. Let the tofu cool a little. Once the tofu is cool enough to handle, mash the boiled tofu with your hands using disposable gloves. The tofu should resemble large-sized cottage cheese curds. Set the tofu aside.
- Prepping the beans: Trim the ends and cut into ½-inch pieces.
- In a wok, heat the oil. Once it’s hot, add the garlic and fry the pieces until golden. Transfer to a plate. Add the shallots and cook over high heat until fragrant. Add the green beans and sauté for 2-3 minutes. The beans should become shiny and translucent. Add the fried garlic and season with salt. Add the scrambled tofu and give it a little color with the turmeric powder. Sauté to prevent the tofu from sticking to the bottom of the wok. Season with salt and pepper. The tofu should be golden and resemble eggs.
- Add parsley. Toss well.
- Serve immediately with jasmine rice on the side.
- Bon appétit!