Catering to a large crowd of vegetarians in my house, I often find myself cooking a lot of lentils (or any legumes) and tofu dishes. I realized I haven’t cooked any tofu in quite some time, so I made my quick and easy tofu stir fry this evening. I sautéed a bunch of vegetables (Brussels sprouts, straw mushrooms, zucchini and red bell peppers) that I had on hand and mixed them with the tofu.
My husband loves this dish and says he could eat the same thing every day. I usually serve it with brown rice and a bowl of canh (Vietnamese broth). It’s a complete, flavorful meal, plus it’s healthy! What else could you ask for?
1. Info for Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, cut in thirds
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce, to taste
- 1 can straw mushrooms, drained and halved
- 2-½ cups Brussels sprouts, cooked and quartered
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, skinned, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons Thai basil, torn
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Prepping the tofu: Cut the tofu into 1-inch slices. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Pan-fry the pieces of tofu on both sides until golden. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Once the tofu pieces are cool enough to handle, dice them. Set aside. In the same wok, add the rest of the oil. Once it’s hot, add the garlic. As the garlic becomes slightly golden, add the tofu and stir fry until fragrant. Transfer the tofu to a platter, leaving as much oil as possible in the wok.
- Add the zucchini first. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened, then add a tablespoon of soy sauce. Add the Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and red bell peppers. Toss well and cook until the veggies become shiny. Transfer to a platter.
- Return the tofu and garlic to the wok. Add palm sugar, black bean sauce, chili garlic sauce and the remaining soy sauce. Stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes. Return the vegetables to the wok and a drizzle of sesame oil. Stir constantly.
- Check seasoning. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Thai basil. Toss well.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.
- Bon appétit!