Though my intention in making these mini bruschetta was to provide a healthy and appealing snack for kids, they aren’t the only ones who’ll enjoy these tasty treats! My husband Lulu, who at times acts like a kid himself, greatly appreciated them too. But really, who could resist garlic-rubbed toasted bread topped with a mixture of chopped ripe tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh basil, black pepper and extra-virgin olive oil? All you really need are fresh, quality ingredients and little helpers to assemble them!
1. Info for Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 sheet 1-day-old pizza lavash bread, cut into ½-inch slices
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons sweet basil, chopped
- For the bread:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the garlic, coarse sea salt and red chili flakes. Grind until it turns into a coarse paste.
- Line a baking pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the pieces of lavash bread. Brush with the garlic mixture, removing as many solids as possible. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 8 minutes until the bread hardens.
- For the tomatoes: In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, the remaining garlic mixture, black pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar. Mix well. Adjust seasoning. You could add a pinch of sugar id the tomatoes aren’t very flavorful.
- Assembly time: Let the bread cool, then cover each piece of bread with the tomato mixture. Cover with freshly chopped basil. Drizzle with more olive oil.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- For more crunch, you could also garnish the crostini with slivered almonds.
- I used California pizza lavash bread; it’s also known as lahvash or cracker bread. It’s a huge time saver for making quick and easy meals. It’s available at Raley’s, Nob Hill and Bel Air stores throughout Northern California. You could also replace it with left-over baguette.
- You could also add diced fresh mozzarella to the tomato mixture.