My husband Lulu worked from home today, so I improvised a little lunch for him. I made little pizza pockets filled with béchamel-coated vegetarian beef strips. I used store-bought whole wheat pizza dough, I already had béchamel sauce made and I added leeks and onions to the filling.
I paired the calzone with tomato soup. Lulu was on a phone call when I brought him lunch but he gave me two thumbs up after finishing his tray of food!
1. Info for Vegetarian Calzone Recipe (Pizza Pocket)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Calzone Recipe (Pizza Pocket)
- 6 flat breads (or any bread such tortillas or pita bread)
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, freshly grated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups milk, warmed for 2 minutes in the microwave
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek (both white and green parts), chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package beef-less strips, coarsely chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package store-bought whole wheat pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 9 cups tomato soup, warmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- extra all-purpose flour
- extra corn meal
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- For the cheese béchamel sauce: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low; you don’t want it to burn. Add the flour. Keep stirring manually with a whisk for approximately 3 minutes. Form a paste, stir well and add the milk in 3 stages. Increase the heat while constantly stirring for about 5 minutes. Add the cheese and reduce the heat to low. Once the cheese is melted and well incorporated, season with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce (if using). Let the sauce rest until it’s time to assemble the dish. For the filling: Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add thinly sliced onions and leeks. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent them from burning, until the color is evenly golden brown. Once softened and brown, add the beef-less trips. Cook for 2 minutes, then add béchamel sauce until well coated. Add parsley. Let cool to room temperature.
- Vegetarian calzone filling.