My husband Lulu is back after more than a week spent in China for work. As a vegetarian, he was pleasantly surprised by the wide array of delicious vegan foods available. He raved about a broccoli chow fun he had there. So I prepared another green version, using Vietnamese, ready-made bánh ướt (you could use previously cooked, wide, brown rice noodles for an even healthier dish), leeks and zucchini.
Since the noodles were pre-cooked. It took less than 10 minutes to stir-fry the vegetables. It was quick and simple, healthy and very tasty. It was my way of hinting to Lulu that he won’t have to fly to Shanghai or Beijing for so long!
1. Info for Zucchini Chow Fun Noodles (Vegan Recipe)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Zucchini Chow Fun Noodles (Vegan Recipe)
- 1 pound fresh, wide, rice noodles, store-bought and pre-cooked
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or any neutral oil), as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons leeks (green part only), finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon black bean sauce (see tips)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 zucchini, cut into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Separate the noodles.
- Trim the zucchini and slice them paper-thin.
- In a wok, add garlic and cook until fragrant, then add the leeks. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they are also fragrant. Add the zucchini and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt. Drizzle with about 2-3 tablespoons water to ensure they’re fully cooked. Add the sugar, black bean sauce, soy sauce, cooking wine and the noodles. Toss well. Add the noodles and finish with a drizzle of soy sauce; this will add the final salty touch to the noodles. Stir well and allow the noodles to soften for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Adjust the seasoning with more salt (if necessary).
- Drizzle with a dash of sesame oil (if using).
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!