This tofu stir fry dish is a staple in our home and I make it at least once a month. It’s quick to prepare, flavorful and packed with fresh green vegetables. I pan-fried tofu pieces and tossed them with onions and zucchini slices in a thick sauce (I used tapioca starch as the thickening agent).
My parents are excited to spend time with little Aria this month; they haven’t seen her since she was 11 months old. I’ve been so busy these past few days wrapping up work and packing for our trip to Paris, that I completely forgot about picking our vegetables. There have been beautiful zucchini waiting to be harvested and I was so excited to be able to cook with them. So it was a real bummer this morning when I found wilted, unusable zucchini flowers. I still harvested the large zucchini and prepared it with tofu. It’s not an elaborate meal but it’s tasty and nutritious.
1. Info for Zucchini Tofu Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Zucchini Tofu Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or any neutral oil), as needed
- ½ teaspoon mushroom seasoning salt
- 1½ teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 zucchini
- 1 teaspoon chili bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Prepping the zucchini: Trim the ends of the zucchini. Cut them into small slices. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the sliced zucchini. Stir and cook until shiny and softened. Make sure the zucchini slices are browned on both sides. Do not over-cook, as they will finish cooking with the tofu; you still want them to hold their shape. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Preparing the tofu: Cut the tofu into 1¼-inch slices. In a wok, heat more oil. Pan-fry the slices on both sides until golden. Cut the slices into thick strips. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Using a spatula, cut the slices in half crosswise and pan-fry the sides until golden. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Sprinkle with mushroom seasoning salt. In a small bowl, dissolve the tapioca starch in 2 tablespoons water. Stir well. In the same wok, heat the oil and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. As the garlic becomes slightly golden, add the zucchini and onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Cook for 4 minutes, tossing frequently. Transfer to a plate. Add ¼ cup water to the wok, bring to a boil and add the tapioca mixture. Mix well. .Once thickened, add the tofu pieces, zucchini slices, onions, sugar, chili garlic sauce, chili bean sauce and the remaining soy sauce. Stir constantly until all the sauce is evenly distributed. Toss well for 2-3 minutes. Check seasoning (add more salt if necessary). Add black pepper. Turn off the heat. Keep on the stove for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with rice or use in as a filling a banh mi sandwich with pickled carrots and radish. Bon appétit!