This tofu stir fry dish is a staple in our home and I make it at least one a month. It’s quick to prepare, flavorful and packed with fresh green vegetables.
The preparation is always more or less the same. In this version, pan-seared tofu pieces (or leftover cooked chicken breasts) are tossed with previously cooked zucchini and baby asparagus in maple syrup, chipotle garlic sauce and soy sauce. At the end, I added onions wedges and turned the heat off; the residual heat in the dish finished cooking the onions while keeping them juicy, sweet and crunchy.
1. Info for Asparagus and Zucchini Tofu Recipe
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 172kcal
2. Ingredients for Asparagus and Zucchini Tofu Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or any neutral oil), as needed
- ½ teaspoon mushroom seasoning salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound baby asparagus spears, cut into thirds
- 3 zucchini
- 1 teaspoon chili bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle garlic sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Prepping the zucchini: Trim the ends of the zucchini. Cut them into small slices. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the sliced zucchini. Stir and cook until shiny and softened. Make sure the zucchini are browned on both sides. Do not over-cook, as they will finish cooking with the tofu; you still want them to hold their shape. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Preparing the tofu: Cut the tofu into 1¼-inch slices. In a wok, heat more oil. Pan-fry the slices on both sides until golden. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Using a spatula, cut the slices in half crosswise and pan-fry the sides until golden. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Sprinkle with mushroom seasoning salt. In the same wok, heat the oil and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. As the garlic becomes slightly golden, add the asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Cook for 4 minutes, tossing frequently. In the same wok, add the tofu pieces, zucchini slices, maple syrup, chipotle garlic sauce, chili bean sauce and the remaining soy sauce. Stir constantly until all the sauce is evenly distributed. Toss well for 2-3 minutes and add cilantro. Check seasoning (add more salt if necessary). Add black pepper. Turn off the heat. Keep on the stove for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with more cilantro. Serve with rice or use in as a filling a banh mi sandwich with pickled carrots and radish. Bon appétit!