My sister-in-law Lya had a sleepover with her girlfriends here last weekend. They had to wake up very early the following day to participate in The Color Run™ 5k paint race event. I promised I’d give them a large breakfast so they’d have enough energy. I served them sweet potato tarte amandine, thumbprint cookies and crepes. I prepared plenty of crêpe batter the night before so I was able to use the rest for lunch and create light, savory crepes. I filled them with a cheesy mascarpone sauce, sautéed kale and broccoli.
Don’t be fooled by the abundance of greens; this healthy, savory crêpe is very flavorful and filling. The, creamy sauce will keep you full until it’s time for the next meal.
1. Info for Kale and Broccoli Crepe Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Kale and Broccoli Crepe Recipe
- 8 crêpes from basic savory crêpe batter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or more butter), as needed
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups favorite tomato sauce (see tips)
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- ⅓ cup sharp Cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons no-salt seasoning (blend of 21 spices and herbs)
- 4 tablespoons sweet basil leaves, chopped
- 5 cups fresh kale
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the minced garlic and oregano and cook until golden. Add the onions. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Once they’re softened and lightly golden, reserve half the amount of onions aside and add tomato sauce and oregano to the saucepan. Stir frequently. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, Cheddar cheese, basil and mustard. Season with no-salt seasoning, salt and black pepper. Once the cheese is fully melted, set aside. Wash the raw kale thoroughly in several baths. Remove and discard the older, fibrous part of the stems. Drain and remove all the excess water using a salad spinner. Roughly chop the kale leaves.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the broccoli. Sauté for 2 minutes until fully coated in oil, then season with salt (this keeps the green color bright). Add 1 cup water and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved onions. Toss well and transfer to a plate. Add the rest of the onions to the pan along with the kale. Constantly toss the kale leaves until they’re shiny (coated in oil). The leaves will start to wilt after 30 seconds or so. Season with salt (this will prevent the kale from changing color and help keep its bright green color). Turn off the heat. Stir well. Cover and let sit for about 2-3 minutes. Check seasoning and add black pepper.
- Place your crêpe pan (or any flat pan) over medium heat. Using a silicone brush, grease it with a little butter (if using). Re-heat the crêpe in the pan for a minute. Lower the heat and flip the crêpe. Spread a generous layer of the cheesy mascarpone tomato sauce. Cover half the crêpe with kale and a few broccoli florets, then fold in half.
- Bon appétit!