I love the combination of pistachio and chocolate. These mini pies are made with a filling of pistachio pudding nestled in a chocolate-flavored graham cracker crust. To accentuate the chocolate flavor, I added a thin layer of Nutella in between.
For the pistachio cream, I made a hassle-free pudding using pistachio-flavored Jell-O instant pie filling. I’ve made pistachio pudding in the past using corn starch, half and half and pâte de pistache but the pistachio flavor doesn’t come as well. So why go through the headache when the Jell-O product tastes better?
You could top the mini pies with meringue or whipped cream but I thought it wasn’t necessary, so I decorated them with crushed pistachios. Voilà!
1. Info for Chocolate Pistachio Cream Pie (Easy Dessert Recipe)
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Servings: 18
- Calories: 130 kcal
2. Ingredients for Chocolate Pistachio Cream Pie (Easy Dessert Recipe)
- 7 squares chocolate-flavored graham crackers (6-½ full sheets)
- 2 teaspoons oil, in a spray bottle
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Nutella, warm
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package instant pistachio pudding
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 ounces roasted, unsalted pistachio nuts , shelled
- For the pistachio cream pie filling: In a bowl, whisk the pistachio pudding powder with cold milk until thickened. Set aside and chill in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crush the graham crackers down to a fine crumb. I use a mortar and pestle; it’s ok if there are some larger crumbs. Gather about 3/4 cup ground graham crackers. Add the granulated sugar and vanilla power (if used). Soften the butter and add it to the crumbs. You should be able to press the graham crackers with your hands into a cohesive mass.
- Lightly oil the non-stick petit four pans. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the molds.
- Bake the pie shells for 10 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.