If you’re planning to host a Christmas party or if you’re joining a pot luck at your office, consider these colorful appetizers. The pinwheels are made with California Lavash, cream cheese, shredded carrots, spinach and cabbage. They’re quick and easy.
You can use whichever lavash variety you like, but I think the green, spinach-flavored lavash is most in-keeping with the holiday theme.
1. Info for Christmas Pinwheel Appetizer Recipe
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Servings: 40
- Calories: 87 kcal
2. Ingredients for Christmas Pinwheel Appetizer Recipe
- 4 sheets spinach-flavored lavash flat bread, halved crosswise
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces your favorite pesto
- 6 ounces shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- juice of half a lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Making cabbage salad:
- In a small bowl, combine the red cabbage with honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss well and set aside for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assembly time:
- Spread 2 thirds of each lavash bread sheet with cream cheese and cover the rest with pesto, stopping 1 inch before the edge (the filling will spread to the edges once the pinwheel is rolled). Place long strips of carrots, the cabbage mixture and stacked spinach leaves. Roll the bread sheets up into a tight wrap until you meet the pesto portion that seals the sandwich.
- Press gently with both hands for about 10 seconds. Transfer the rolled sandwich to a cutting board, seam side down. Using a sharp knife, trim about ½ inch (or slightly more) from each end of the wraps. Slice the logs into 5 pieces.
- Transfer the pinwheel appetizers to a serving platter, spiral side up. Shape a Christmas treewith the appetizers.
- Using a sharp paring knife, form a yellow star. Pin and secure the bell pepper star to the top pinwheel sandwich with a party pick.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Happy holidays!
4. Tips and advices:
- The cream cheese acts as an adhesive and prevents the shredded carrots from sliding too much once the rollups are wrapped.
- Feel free to add more flavor with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, cold cuts or hummus.
- You can find lavash bread in most Middle Eastern markets. It’s sold in 18-ounce packages. You could replace the lavash bread with tortillas or crêpes, which are very easy to roll, too.