The first time we attempted to make soy nog, it came out way to thick so my husband suggested that we make ice cream out of it. Most ice cream after all are just frozen custard. To turn this into a frozen treat, we really upped all the flavors to counteract the effects that cold food has on our ability to taste. Enjoy!
1. Info for Vegan Soy Nog Ice Cream
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegan Soy Nog Ice Cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 6 Tbs corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk creamer
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 3 tsp cinnamon, freshly grated
- 2 drops yellow food coloring,
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, optional
- 2 tsp imitation rum extract,
- 1 tsp almond extract
- In a little bowl, dissolve the sugar, cornstarch and salt in the milk.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil then add the milk/cornstarch/sugar/salt mixture. This is a very delicate procedure; constantly stir the liquid with a small whisk while pouring the milk mixture very slowly so that it does not curdle. Add the cream. Keep whisking until liquid thickens. The liquid should be able to coat the back of a spoon.
- Once off of the stove, pour all the liquid through a sieve to remove any lump of cornstarch. Transfer to a pitcher. wrap with plastic wrap. Let cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, food coloring, almond and rum. Add powdered sugar if not sweet enough. Remember, the ice cream custard should be slightly sweeter to your taste than the regular one for drinking beacuse it will taste less sweet when it’s frozen.
- Let it cool again. Your custard should be as cold as possible before you put it in the machine.
- Pour into your ice cream maker canister. Fill up two-thirds of it as the ice cream will expand and let the machine do its magic. The consistency will be firm but still soft-serve; transfer the ice cream into an airtight container in the freezer to harden for at least 2 hours. Patience is a virtue 🙂
- Bon Appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- food coloring is used to imitate the color of the egg yolk. Don’t get too heavy handed with it, it’ll look too artificial!
- for alcoholic version, substitute with 4 Tbsp Rum
- You gotta properly cover the container, fat content from the mixture might pick up some other smell from the refrigerator
- You can keep it up to 2 months