I haven’t cooked any tofu dishes for my husband Lulu in a while and I thought it would be good to vary his diet. So I prepared tofu with fresh wood ear mushrooms, sweet potatoes, carrots and red bell peppers that I stir-fried in coconut, galangal and turmeric curry sauce.
I topped the tofu dish with a few roasted peanuts to create a contrast in texture and make the dish more fun.
1. Info for Coconut Curry Tofu Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Coconut Curry Tofu Recipe
- 1 (15-ounce) package fresh firm tofu
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 (4-inch) chunk galangal
- 1⅓ cups roasted peanuts, halved
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, boiled and coarsely diced
- ½ cup wood ear mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1¼ cups coconut milk, as needed (depending how thick the sauce is)
- v to ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, freshly chopped
- juice of half a lime, peeled, cut and coarsely diced
- Prepping galangal: Clean the root and remove any dirt. Peel the galangal with a paring knife (or the edge of a spoon). Grate about 2 tablespoons of galangal with a fine mesh Microplane. Thinly slice the rest, then cut into long matchsticks.
- Prepping the tofu: Cut the tofu into 1" slices. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Pan-fry the pieces of tofu on both sides until golden. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Once the tofu pieces are cool enough to handle, cut them into thirds. Set aside.
- In the same wok, add more oil. Add the onions and green chile slices. Cook for 2 minutes until the onions are fragrant and golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add the remaining galangal and carrot to the wok. Add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Stir constantly until the liquid thickens. Add bell pepper, wood ear mushrooms, honey (if used), red chili powder, coconut milk and turmeric. Decrease the heat to low. Season with soy sauce and return the tofu to the wok. Keep stirring often until the sauce is fully absorbed by the tofu.
- Once the liquid is almost reduced, return the onions, drizzle with lime juice, then adjust seasoning with more soy sauce. Cover until ready to serve.
- Remove and discard the pieces of green chile and garnish with peanuts.
- Decorate with more cilantro leaves on top if you like.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- Bon appétit!