Green bean salad is probably the simplest, healthiest dish you can make. I usually serve it as a first course or as a side dish accompanying a roasted chicken or any other white meat.
As with other easy dishes, the key is to use good, fresh ingredients. I got some crisp haricots verts fins from the local market. Haricots verts fins literally means thin string beans in French; they are much more tender than regular green beans.
For an added contrast of texture, I added some toasted, sliced almonds and some coarsely chopped sun dried tomatoes to bring a tart, acidic flavor.
What I love about this dish is that you can mix and match green beans with anything, such as wax beans (called haricots beurres in French). Just select an ingredient that will create an appealing color contrast: nuts, capers, feta cheese or even anchovies all work well.
1. Info for Simple Green Bean Salad with Toasted Sliced Almonds and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Simple Green Bean Salad with Toasted Sliced Almonds and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate vinaigrette (recipe follows in the tip section)
- Wash the haricots verts. Blanch them for about 2-3 minutes in boiling salted water and transfer to an ice bath. Drain thoroughly of all water, then pat dry on a paper towel. Do not overcook the green beans; they should still be tender and crisp, not mushy, or you would have depleted all the healthy nutrients. Trim the ends of the beans. Cut the beans on the bias into 1-1/2 inch long pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small pan, dry toast the sliced almonds for about 2 minutes until slightly golden. Transfer to a plate to prevent the nuts from turning more golden (or burnt!). Drizzle the pomegranate vinaigrette. Toss well. Sprinkle the toasted almonds. C’est prêt! -"It’s ready" (in French). Serve at room temperature. Bon appétit!