There is something utterly delightful about this goat cheese arugula salad. The combination in the first place is exquisite but I wanted to kick it up a notch by breading the medallions of goat cheese with crumbs of freshly baked brioche. I also added a carpaccio of mango and radish to add color to the salad.
The technique for obtaining perfectly sliced mango is nothing simpler than using thread. In my childhood, we would often use this method to slice meat pate for a clean cut, especially during the holidays. I often find myself using tools that don’t necessarily belong in the kitchen, but are perfect for the job at hand.
1. Info for Goat Cheese Arugula Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Goat Cheese Arugula Recipe
- 1 (16-ounce) package arugula, tightly packed
- 1 lemon
- ½ dozen radishes
- 1 green mango, peeled and sliced
- 12 ounces goat cheese, sliced
- 2 egg whites
- 4 thick slices brioche
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepping the radishes: Using a mandoline or a sharp chef’s knife, thinly slice the radishes. Drizzle with half the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss well and set aside.
- Cube the brioche and place in the food processor. Pulse until it turns into "moist" crumbs.
- Dip the slices of goat cheese into the egg whites with one hand and into the bread crumbs with the other hand.
- Store the breaded cheese slices in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Once the butter is melted, pan-fry the cheese on both sides over high heat until golden. Once lightly golden, transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the vinaigrette: In a jar, combine the rest of the lemon juice, sugar, mustard, basil oil and the remaining olive oil. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Pat dry the radish slices with paper towels. Drizzle the radish and mango with a bit of vinaigrette.
- Stack the radish and mango, alternating and fanning them.
- Fill a plate with arugula. Roll the slices of mango and radish and top with the breaded goat cheese. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the plates. Drizzle with the rest of the vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!