This is one of our family’s staple vegetarian dishes. It’s rich in nutrients, healthy and very tasty. If, like me, you’re not a vegetarian, you won’t miss meat with this veggie pattie recipe. The texture is very similar to a ground turkey burger and the addition of garlic, onion, red chili flakes and sourdough croutons brings plenty of flavor to the dish.
I like using black turtle beans. You can find them in most supermarkets in the dried bean aisle and sometimes in a canned version in Indian markets. You can use most black beans interchangeably, even though turtle beans are a little smaller. Just make sure you don’t use black soy beans, which have a totally different consistency and taste.
1. Info for Vegetarian Homemade Black Turtle Bean Patties
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 433 kcal
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Homemade Black Turtle Bean Patties
- 1 (1-pound) package dried black turtle beans
- 2 cups sourdough croutons
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (or any neutral oil)
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups spicy soy sauce (recipe follows in the tip section)
- Cooking the dried beans: Wash the black turtle beans. Discard any floating or odd-shaped beans. Wash and rinse thoroughly in several water baths (about three times) and set aside to soak for at least 12 hours, preferably overnight. Drain the beans, removing as much of the soaking water as possible.
- Place the beans in a small pot. Add 1½ quarts of water. Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature to medium heat. Cook for an hour and a half until softened. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large pan, add the chopped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until shiny and slightly golden. Transfer to a bowl, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
- Place the bread in a food processor and pulse until it becomes a coarse mill. Set aside.
- Lightly oil the bowl of the food processor with a silicone brush. Add ¾ of the cooked black turtle beans. Coarsely blend until a thick paste is formed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cooked onions and pulse 3-4 times. Transfer the paste into a bowl. Add the remaining beans, red chili flakes, powdered croutons, parsley, the egg and the rest of the oil from the pan. Using a spatula, mix well. Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Using the same non-stick pan, re-heat the vegetable oil.
- Place the veggie burger mixture in a large ziptop bag. Using a rolling pin, flatten the mixture. Cut and remove the plastic, then cut into 10 equal portions and form 2½”-patties unsing a circle cutter.
- Place the burgers in the hot pan. Cook until a nice crust is formed. Flip the burgers and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Cover a serving platter with the spicy sauce and place the veggie burgers on top. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve warm.
- Bon appétit!