I usually make savory tarts with a pâte brisée (which is the classic pastry crust) or pâte sablée (crumbly, shortbread savory crust). But this time, since I prepared a tart with a very pungent filling with the use of gorgonzola, I wanted to soften the flavors with brioche crust.
To keep things somewhat "light", I added little dollops of kale pesto to the top of the tart. Healthy, you ask? Maybe not, but at least we got to eat a nice portion of greens at the same time!
1. Info for Gorgonzola Kale Brioche Tart (Savory Tart Recipe)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Gorgonzola Kale Brioche Tart (Savory Tart Recipe)
- 1 ¼-ounce package dry active yeast
- ⅓ cup milk, warm
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons combined thyme, marjoram, coriander, celery seeds, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely snipped
- 1⅓ cups heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup kale walnut pesto (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, melt the butter in the warm milk. Once the butter is melted, add the dry active yeast and stir until well combined. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the center, then pour in the milk. Add 1 egg and salt. Knead the dough until smooth. Form a dough ball. Grease the mixing bowl with oil or a bit of butter, then let the dough ball rest for 1 hour, covered with a kitchen towel.
- Roll the dough into a (13" x 9") rectangle. Place the dough in a non-stick rectangular (12" x 8") tart mold, lined with parchment paper; following the shape of the mold, crimp the dough against the edge. Leave a little excess above the edge because the dough will settle a bit in the oven. Prick the dough with a fork. Cover with a kitchen towl and let rise for 10 minutes while you prepare the cheese filling.
- In another mixing bowl, crack the remaining 2 eggs. Add the seasonings, fresh basil and pepper. Beat the eggs, then add the cream. Mix well.
- Fill the tart shell with the filling. Top with the crumbled gorgonzola cheese. Finish with little dollops of kale pesto. Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes; reduce the temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut, crooswise, into 6 servings. Serve warm or at room temperature with a green salad.
- Bon appétit!