My husband Lulu has gone on a business trip again for the week, so I don’t cook as much while he’s out of town. I simply boiled a whole chicken, nothing really fancy.
Since a whole chicken was way too much for Aria and me, I cut part of the chicken into small pieces, added a few rice noodles, carrots, mushrooms and some snow peas. Nothing more, nothing less. I like the unpretentious and elementary feel of this dish. Baby Aria enjoyed it too.
I’ll keep the leftovers and make chicken salad tomorrow.
1. Info for Simple Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Simple Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or any neutral oil)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 8-ounce package rice vermicelli noodles, boiled
- 1 shredded carrot, cooked
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1 King mushroom, shredded and cooked
- Slice the onion. Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the onions, stirring frequently to prevent the onion from burning, until the color is evenly golden brown.
- Wash the whole chicken.
- Fill a pot with 3 quarts of water. Bring to a roaring boil. Add the fried onions. Add the whole chicken to the fried-onion broth. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot. Let cool a little until you can handle it without discomfort. Make several deep diagonal incisions throughout the bird’s flesh. Place the chicken back in the broth. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and the black pepper. Bring to a boil again and cook for another 5 minutes (cook the chicken no more than 15 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Let cool a bit. Shred the meat and set it aside on a platter.
- When you’re ready to serve, place the cooked rice noodles in an individual bowl. Add the cooked vegetables and pieces of chilcken. Ladle boiling chicken broth into the bowl.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!