Our friend Sarah from Nuts About Granola has launched her first-ever box-mixed granola, called Granola Basics. The concept is brilliant and a lot of fun. Start with Granola Basics, then add a sweetener such as honey, agave or maple syrup. Finish with a few tasty mix-ins such as nuts, dried fruit or chocolate and you’re done.
Of course, I wanted to test it out! In my opinion, nothing can go wrong when you mix exquisite ingredients such as Guittard chocolate, fresh coconut shavings, Hawaiian ginger syrup, candied ginger and macadamia nuts, so that’s exactly what I did. It’s not quite a trip to the Aloha State, but very satisfying nonetheless.
1. Info for Hawaiian Granola Bar Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 56
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Hawaiian Granola Bar Recipe
- 1 (11.625-ounce) package “Bake-It-Yourself” Granola Basics box mix (2½ cups)
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1¼ cups Hawaiian ginger syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coconut, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To enhance the flavors, dry toast the coconut in a small pan over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes, just before the coconut starts changing color. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool completely. In a large mixing bowl, combine the granola mix with ¾ cup ginger syrup, macadamia nuts and salt.
- Spread the mixed granola onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes at 350°F. Rotate the pan and reduce the heat to 325°F. Bake for an additional 8 minutes. Let cool. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the remaining ginger syrup. Once it reaches a light boil, cook for another minute. Pour over the granola. Add the coconut, vanilla and chocolate chips. Using a silicone spatula, mix welll.
- Fill 56 individual mini silicone molds (see tips) with the granola mixture. Let cool to room temperature, then chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before unmolding.
- Bon appétit!