If you were born in the 80s and lived in France, you probably know of the marble cake called Le Savane de Papy Brossard. Ça a bercé mon enfance, which I’d translate to “it sweetened my childhood”. This coffee cake is a marbré cake. The beauty of this cake is its appealing look once sliced with its gorgeously marbled, streaked appearance made of vanilla and chocolate.
A generous amount of quality butter and a little milk made the cake moist and fluffy while milk chocolate provided the contrast in color needed for this sweet treat. I think the result was very close to the one I had when I was a child. My hope is that baby Aria will keep the same fond memories of this chocolate marble cake once she grows up!
1. Info for Marble Cake Recipe (Marbre au Chocolat)
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Servings: 1
- Calories: 468kcal
2. Ingredients for Marble Cake Recipe (Marbre au Chocolat)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dark molasses
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 5 tablespoons butter with ½ cup granulated sugar using an electric mixer. Once creamy, add one egg yolk at a time and beat well. Add the vanilla paste (or vanilla extract).
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Sift the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients and the milk gradually, alternating then until the batter is smooth.
- In another bowl, place the 3 egg whites. Add salt. Beat the egg whites for about 2 minutes at medium speed. Increase to maximum speed and keep beating for another 2 minutes until the whites are stiff. Do not overbeat or the texture will become grainy.
- Pour ⅓ of the egg white mixture into the cake batter mixture and gently stir everything to soften the batter. Pour in the rest of the egg whites and, using a wooden spoon, gently fold the egg whites into the batter to get an airy batter.
- Divide the batter in half, transferring the other half in another mixing bowl.
- Make a “double boiler” (a pot filled with hot water, covered with a piece of cloth) and place a stainless steel bowl filled with milk chocolate chips on top. Slowly melt, stirring frequently. Add the instant coffee (if using) and molasses. Turn off the heat. Stir well until the mixture is uniform. Mix the chocolate in one of the bowls and using a spatula, stir until the color is uniform.
- Grease a cake pan with butter. Dust with flour, then line with parchment paper.
- Start by pouring in 1 layer of vanilla cake batter. Top with a layer of chocolate batter. Alternate the layers until all the batter is used, finishing with the vanilla-flavored one.
- Bake the cake for 20 minutes at 375°F, then lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 40-45 minutes. A skewer or a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Bon appétit!