I’ve made this cake recipe for years. I think I found the recipe when I was a little girl on the back of vanilla sugar packets that are commonly available in France. I haven’t changed the base of the cake batter much since then.
The great part of this recipe is that the measuring tool is the yogurt container. And after making it once, you’ll probably never have to refer to the recipe again. Simply remember "1, 2, 3, ½, 3": 1 yogurt, 2 measures of sugar, 3 measures of flour, half a measure of oil (½), 3 eggs, 1 packet of "levure" (baking powder) and 1 packet of vanilla sugar.
Instead of serving the cake plain, which by the way is great with tea, I flavored the cake with Meyer lemon zest and glazed it with a Meyer lemon mascarpone glaze. It was truly fantastic!
1. Info for Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe
- 1 (4-ounce) container homemade yogurt or store-bought (113 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, to taste
- 3 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ cup salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, crème fraîche or sour cream, at room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- juice of ¾ Meyer lemon, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a cake pan with parchment paper. I used a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
- Place 4 ounces of yogurt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in another mixing bowl with granulated sugar until they’re pale yellow and the texture is thicker. Add the vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Add the eggs to the yogurt,then the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, olive oil and lemon zest in this order. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan. Let it sink a little using a spoon. Even it out using a spreader or by gently lifting and dropping the mold several times.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F until the top is crackly, rotate the pan and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. The texture of the cake should be very soft and moist. A skewer or a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Yogurt cake before the glaze.