I’m sure you’ve noticed, but it feels like Thanksgiving already. The girls have been enjoying pumpkin smoothie drinks at Jamba Juice, Lulu recently brought home a pumpkin pie from Marie Callender’s and we just bought our first fresh cranberries of the season. With the weather getting colder, what could be more appropriate to the season than a hot cup of cider? But instead of making regular ol’ apple cider, I added freshly-made pear juice as well.
I used Bartlett pears (with hints of red, they are much sweeter) which were slightly firm so they would easily pass through a juicer. If you prefer a more intense pear flavor, you could use very ripe, soft fruit but I wouldn’t recommend using a juicer as it would get clogged easily. Instead, mix them until mushy in a regular blender, then pass the mixture through a large sieve. I didn’t opt for this method as I find the texture a little grainy. You can add whatever spices you like, but I opted for the traditional combination of cinnamon, clove and ginger. It’s an easy and very satisfying recipe for the weekend!
1. Info for Pear Cider Recipe
- Cook Time: 2 hr 20 min
- Total Time: 3 hr 50 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 310 kcal
2. Ingredients for Pear Cider Recipe
- 13 red Bartlett pears, ripe but still slightly firm
- 4 Red Delicious apples
- 1 lemon, freshly juiced
- 1 (3-inch) chunk fresh ginger (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- Reserve 1 pear for the cider later. Remove the stems of the apples and pears. Peel the pears. Drizzle with lemon juice to prevent oxidation of the fruit.
- In a home juicing machine, combine the ginger (if used), apples and peeled pears.
- Apple cider: It’s not necessary to peel or core the remaining pear. Cut it into quarters and stud the pieces with cloves. Place them in a large pot. Add the cinnamon sticks, the apple pear juice and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook, covered, for about 20-25 minutes, until fragrant. Filter the pear apple cider through a fine mesh sieve or fine muslin cloth.
- Assembly time: Warm the pear apple cider when you’re ready to serve. Adjust the sweetness if necessary (I didn’t add any sweetener).
- Ladle the drink into mugs. Decorate with fresh cinnamon sticks.
- I served it warm but It could also be served chilled.