We started the week with one persimmon dessert (persimmon pie with Brazil nut crumb topping), so it seems fitting to end it with another. This tart makes use of the firm variety of persimmons called Fuyu. They have a slightly softer texture than an apple, but still with a pleasant snap.
The preparation requires almost no effort! Scalloped-edge rounds of puff pastry are spread with a thin layer of French crème de marrons (chestnuts, sugar and vanilla beans) to mark the holiday season. The finishing touch is arranging sliced persimmons into a pretty flower shape dotted with little mounds of butter and a sprinkle of turbinado sugar and pistachio.
1. Info for Persimmon Tart Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Persimmon Tart Recipe
- 4 (5 x 5″) squares puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 (3.5-ounce) tin chestnut spread
- 4 Fuyu persimmons
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (or regular granulated sugar)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves, warm
- 8 roasted pistachio kernels, finely crushed
3.1 Forming the pastry shells
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Using 3″-diameter scalloped-edge cookie cutters, cut the puff pastry dough into rounds. Reserve the remnants for another dish.
Place the 8 puff pastry pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick the dough using a fork 3-4 times to let some of the steam out as they bake.
3.2 Assembly time
Place chestnut spread in the center of each tart rounds. Even out the layer using a spatula.
Remove the stems of the persimmons. Peel (if needed) and cut in half. Thinly slice the halves lengthwise. Spread the persimmon slices into a pretty design onto the puff pastry. Dot the top with little mounds of butter and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 18-20 minutes. The texture of the puff pastry should be very flaky.
Remove from the oven, brush with a thin layer of apricot preserves and add a sprinkle of crushed pistachios.
Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
Serve with a cup of unsweetened green tea.
4. Tips and advices:
- I like eating the skin of Fuyu persimmon but if you want it a little smoother, remove it before baking.
- You can make this fresh fruit tart with any other fruits such as apricots, figs or pears depending on the season.