I developed this new stuffing recipe when I had leftover polenta croutons I had fried for making salad. The preparation is the same as for bread stuffing. I flavored the polenta stuffing with earthy ingredients such as brown mushrooms, chanterelle mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, red, orange and yellow bell peppers and marinated artichokes.
This stuffing version is perfect if you have gluten-inloterant guests on Thanksgiving. And you won’t be missing bread, either. Also, you could serve it tamale-style in corn husks to keep it warm.
1. Info for Polenta Stuffing Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Polenta Stuffing Recipe
- 1 (18-ounce) package pre-cooked polenta
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups vegetable oil, as needed
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, quartered, lengthwise
- 1 cup chanterelle mushrooms, coarsley chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth, as needed
- 3 red, orange and yellow bell peppers (1 of each), roasted, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 10 marinated artichokes, quartered, lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Italian parlsey, finely chopped
3.1 For the polenta croutons
Cut the polenta into 1-inch slices, then cut each slice into cubes. Brush them with oil.
In a small non-stick pan, heat 1¾ cups oil. Pan-fry the polenta pieces for 5 minutes until crisp. Stir the polenta croutons and continue frying until completely crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Toss well.
3.2 For the mushrooms
In a large pot, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic. As the garlic becomes slightly golden, add both kinds of mushrooms. Cook until shiny, then add the green onions. Stir well and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate. Set aside.
At the last minute, add the remaining oil to the pot. Add the polenta croutons. Add 1 cup of warm vegetable broth. Stir well, then mix in the sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, bell peppers and mushrooms. Add more vegetable broth (I used 1¼ cups total) until the entire mixture is moist, but not completely mushy. Adjust seasoning. Stir well. Cook for another minute. Turn off the heat, Sprinkle with cheese and finish with Italian parsley. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Tips and advices:
- I used store-bought polenta.