Baking banana cupcakes is my way of using the ripe bananas that have been sitting in our fruit bowl. Our family eats a lot of bananas but I think this week we went a little over-board, so we had some leftover that were turning black. I mashed the bananas with a little lemon juice and used it as a flavoring for cupcakes. I added crème fraîche (you could use sour cream) so the cake batter was very moist.
I frosted the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and decorated them with sprinkles I recently bought at Target. Easter is coming soon, so why not prepare some cute sweet treats!
1. Info for Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 24
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 5 bananas, peeled and diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons crème fraîche (or sour cream)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey (or any syrup)
- 4 tablespoons Easter sprinkle toppings (optional)
- Mash the bananas with the back of a fork. Drizzle with lemon juice. You could also place the bananas in a food processor and blend until coarsely puréed. Gather about 1-½ cups.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the granulated sugar using an electric mixer. You’ll get a pale yellow foam and the texture of the egg will be thicker. Add the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, allspice, baking soda and baking powder. Sift all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Mix well. Add the brown sugar, crème fraîche, olive oil and banana purée.
- Making cream cheese frosting: Beat the powdered sugar and cream cheese and 3 tablespoons of the syrup in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in enough of the remaining syrup to make a smooth, soft frosting.
- Place cupcake liners into the cavities of a mini oval cupcake pan. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the banana cake batter into each cup.
- Bake the cupcakes for 5 minutes at 375°F, then lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool completely.
- Frost each miniature sweet with the cream cheese frosting then top with the colored sprinkles.
- Bon appétit!