I was very frustrated yesterday after the memory card of my camera crashed and I wasn’t able to show off my beautiful crostata with pecan and blueberry pie filling. All I could rescue was only one photo of the crostata before it went into the oven. So to redeem myself, I’m offering you un cadeau de consolation, a consolation prize with a blackberry polenta tart.
The sweet dough is made with polenta which gives a very crumbly texture. I filled the tart with blackberry preserves, topped them with fresh blackberries and finished them with a kaffir lime ginger glaze. Everything was gone, it was delicious. Mission accomplished!
1. Info for Blackberry Polenta Tart with a Kaffir Lime Ginger Glaze
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 10
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Blackberry Polenta Tart with a Kaffir Lime Ginger Glaze
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, + 2 tablespoons for the filling
- 3/4 cup coarse polenta
- 1 drizzle canola oil, for greasing the food processor
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- 2 cups sugar, + 2 tablespoons for the egg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon extract, or powdered
- 1-1/4 cups blackberry preserves
- 2 lbs fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup kaffir lime ginger glaze, warmed up 30 seconds in the microwave
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Using a handheld mixer, whisk the egg with 2 tablespoons of sugar until you get a pale, yellow foam. It’ll take about 5-6 minutes. The consistency must be very airy. Add the vanilla and anise extracts. Set aside.
- Lightly oil the bowl of your food processor with a silicone brush. Add 1-1/2 cups of flour, baking powder, 1/3 cup sugar, the polenta, 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Blend for a few seconds, then add the cold butter. Pulse the mixture until it forms crumbs of butter and flour. Add the egg mixture. Pulse another 3-4 times until it forms a dough. Do NOT overmix. Transfer the dough onto a pastry board lined with a sheet of parchment paper. Even out the dough using a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick. Create about 10 disks. Line 10 pie shells with parchment paper. Place the dough in the individual pie shells previously buttered (or in 2 9-inch pie pans).
- Wash the blackberries. Place about 1 pound of blackberries in a deep saucepan. Coat them in 1-2/3 cup of sugar. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes until the juices begin to flow. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes. Stir frequently using a wooden spoon. Let them stand for about 15 minutes. Bring back to a boil. Skim any foam that develops on the top before pouring into a large Mason jar. Add the cinnamon extract.
- Assembling the blackberry tarts: Place about 2-1/2 tablespoons of the blackberry preserves in the center of each round of polenta dough . Bake for 15 minutes at 375°F, lower the temperature to 350°F and cook for another 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn off the heat, then immediately place 7 fresh blackberries on each tart. Brush the tarts with the warm kaffir lime ginger glaze using a silicone brush, for a nice glossy look.
- Let the tarts cool for at least 20 minutes. You can serve them warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Bon appétit!
- Serve warm with hot tea or a cardamom-flavored Arnold Palmer if you like.
- Bon appétit!