I wanted to make muffins last week, but I had no particular kind in mind. I looked through the cupboards and found 1/2 cup of toasted coconut flakes, a bag of dried cherries, that ever present odd ball flour assortment I manage to keep around and thought, “Huh. I wondered how I can make that all work together in a muffin.” I started thinking about a cherry coconut muffin. It sounded pretty yummy. I sat down with a pen and paper to jot down what I thought would make a muffin.
Originally, I was going to use almond flavoring, but alas, that was the only flavor of extract I couldn’t find in my spice cupboard. I decided brandy flavoring was the next best thing, and boy was it! I don’t use brandy extract very often. In fact, I have no idea how old that little bottle is. However, with the cherries and the coconut, that was the perfect little oomph to make these muffins phenomenal.
1. Info for Cherry Spelt Muffins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 220kcal
2. Ingredients for Cherry Spelt Muffins
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ⅓ cup oil (or melted butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour (can use all white or all whole wheat too)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dried cherries
- With a mixer, blend the cream cheese, oil, agave, eggs and flavorings.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to the wet, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in the coconut and cherries.
- Scoop into a well greased muffin tin.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Let cool on a wire rack.