I can’t say I’ve actually tried a coconut cupcake in France, but it was well worth the wait. I am now eating coconut cupcakes with cream cheese frosting by the dozen at my place.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 7 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoons almond extract
- Extra coconut shredding
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 pounds confectioners sugar
- Food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs to the creamed mixture and then add the vanilla and almond extracts. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add these ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter and mix until combined.
- Fold in the shredded coconut 🙂 !
- After lining a muffin pan with paper liners and filling each liner to the top with the batter, bake the cupcakes for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow them to cool for 15 minutes.
- Make the frosting by creaming together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Slowly add the sugar and mix until smooth. (I decided to add some color to the frosting and I have no regrets. The cupcakes turned out more adorable than I could have imagined!)
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with coconut shreddings!
Would you try this recipe? Are there any recipes you would like me to try out?