Little Aria’s favorite dish of the moment is a good noodle stir fry. It’s super easy to prepare and I’ll show you how to master this dish using 3 main flavorings: garlic, green onions and some chiles.
The secret is to fry the garlic first. You have to make sure you don’t burn it or the noodles will have an acrid taste, which could be very unpleasant. If this is the case, simply throw the garlic away, wash the pan and start over. The other key is stir fry the noodles over high heat; you could also add a dollop of butter at the end for extra richness, if you like.
1. Info for Garlic Noodles
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Garlic Noodles
- 1 (14-ounce) package fresh egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1½ tablespoons oyster sauce (see tips)
- 1½ teaspoons chili garlic sauce, to taste
- 4 tablespoons green onions (white and green parts), chopped
- 1½ teaspoons mushroom salt (or regular salt), to taste
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon đường thẻ Chinese brown sugar (or light brown sugar), grated
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- On a large platter, untangle and separate the egg noodles. Fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil. Place the noodles in the water, return the water to a boil then lower the heat to medium-low. Keep stirring every now and then so the noodles don’t stick to the bottom. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. When the noodles are cooked (tender but still in shape and firm), drain the noodles (reserve a bit of cooking liquid, about ¼ cup, for later) but don’t rinse. Discard the liquid. Season with mushroom salt. Set aside.
- In a wok or pan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate, leaving as much oil as possible in the wok.
- To the same wok, add the green onions and cook until fragrant, then add the chili garlic sauce, sugar, lime juice and oyster sauce over high heat. Mix well and immediately add the noodles. Add the reserved cooking noodle liquid to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the wok. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Once the noodles are well coated, check seasoning. Season with more mushroom seasoning salt if necessary. Turn off the heat, then add the fried garlic and cilantro. Drizzle the sesame oil and sprinkle with white pepper.
- Bon appétit!