Kitcheri is a very simple recipe that requires only a few ingredients from the pantry. It’s a blend of coral-colored lentils, called masoor dal, with basmati rice and a few other typical Indian spices.
It’s very nutritious for all the vegetarians in the house. The lentils provide a lot of protein. The key to a good kitcheri though is a flavorful raita, or yogurt sauce. Check back tomorrow for the recipe!
1. Info for Masoor Dal Khichdi (Indian Orange Lentil Rice)
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 290 kcal
2. Ingredients for Masoor Dal Khichdi (Indian Orange Lentil Rice)
- 1-½ cups basmati rice
- 3/4 cup masoor dal
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, for color
- 4 cloves
- 1 (1-inch) stick cinnamon
- 4 whole coriander seeds
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup fried onions, not too browned
- 1 drizzle lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Mix lentils and rice in a bowl. Wash and rinse thoroughly in several water baths (about three times) and set aside for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight. Drain the rice and lentils.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the oil and about 1-½ tablespoons of ghee. Do NOT burn the ghee as it browns very fast like butter. Add the ginger, garlic, the chopped onion and all the spices except the salt. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the rice and lentils. The ghee and oil should coat each grain. Add the water and stir constantly. Add cilantro, bring to a boil without covering then lower to medium heat for about 20 minutes. Add the lime juice, salt, the fried onions and a pinch of sugar (if used). Place little mounds of ghee all over the rice. Seal the saucepan with aluminum foil and cover tightly with a lid. Steam should escape from the pan. Cook for another 30 minutes on low.
- Garnish with some fresh cilantro and serve with raita.
- Bon appétit!