Some of the tastiest things in life are made of few simple ingredients. Gratin dauphinois is one of those dishes. It consists of just potatoes, cream, cheese and butter, with a little salt and fresh cut herbs as garnish. Ok, it’s not the healthiest meal in the world but that’s why they invented treadmills.
When it comes out of the oven, hissing and bubbling, you and your guests are definitely in for a treat. Having a simple recipe like this gratin dauphinois in your culinary arsenal can help you out when you’re pressed for time or when you have unexpected guests, which is often my case.
1. Info for Gratin Dauphinois (Scalloped Potatoes)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Gratin Dauphinois (Scalloped Potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons butter, or less
- 2 to 3 whole Yukon potatoes, depending on size
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel (or regular salt), freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns, freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 ounces gruyère, shredded
- 1 tablespoon curly parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven at 375°F.
- I used 4 mini oval eared dishes.
- Grease the dishes with butter, then rub garlic on the bottom and inner sides of each dish. Pour a little bit of cream at the bottom of each dish.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/16-inch thick slices with a mandoline. Make a first thin packed layer of potatoes.
- In a bowl, mix the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- In a small pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and saute the remaining garlic until light golden. Sprinkle over the first layer of potatoes. Sprinkle a thin layer of gruyère. Coat the layered potatoes with the cream mixture using a tablespoon. Layer the rest of the sliced potatoes, make sure it’s tightly and evenly packed. Pour the rest of the cream on each dish. Finish with the rest of the gruyère. Top with bits of butter.
- Place 4 dishes on a baking sheet. Bake for about 50 minutes. Check for tenderness of the potatoes with a knife.
- Serve immediately. Don’t forget to sprinkle the parlsey on top.
- C’est délicieux!