If carrots only appear on your dinner table chopped up in salads, this recipe is for you. Roasting the carrots brings out their natural sweetness and the other ingredients in this dish enhance the flavor. The number of ingredients is minimal: good quality olive oil, kosher salt, green, pink and black peppercorn medley, lemon thyme from the garden and a drizzle of wildflower honey are all you’ll need. This fancy yet simple presentation is a no-brainer for dinner parties.
A few minutes in the oven and the result is absolutely stunning. The carrots turn slightly brown and they’re candied to perfection!
1. Info for Roasted Carrots
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Roasted Carrots
- 3 bunches young carrots
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons green, pink and black peppercorn medley
- 2 tablespoons lemon thyme, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons wildflower honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Trim the carrot greens, leaving about 2" from the tops for a fancy presentation.
- Using a vegetable peeler (see tips), peel the carrots.
- Fill a pot with water. Bring to a boil, then blanch the carrots for 1 minute; that way the carrots are also free from any dirt around the greens. Drain and let sit until the carrots are completely dried. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise (you want same-sized pieces for even cooking).
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the thyme, salt and peppercorns. Grind the mixture so the salt becomes very fragrant.
- Brush a baking pan with olive oil. Spread the carrots evenly on the pan in a single layer. Add the flavored salt and drizzle with more olive oil to coat the carrots. Toss well. Roast for about 18 minutes. Toss and rotate half-way through the cooking process for even roasting. Drizzle with honey and roast for another 5 minutes until they’re candied. Remove from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Accompany with grilled meat and oven roasted potatoes.
- Bon appétit!