This gluten free dish has been my kind of light meal recently. My doctor is trying to find out if I suffer from any food allergies, which I find kind of ironic, given my love of cooking. Today for lunch I prepared this meal quickly by mixing quinoa, Asian greens (you could use kale or spinach), straw mushrooms and shrimp. I flavored the shrimp with a plum sauce and a bit of soy sauce. You wouldn’t believe how delicious this was!
I like having a one-dish meal, which is convenient to eat. Baby Aria usually likes munching on the food I eat, so I was so pleased to see she likes shrimp now. Also, I’ve been trying to stay away from carbs so quinoa is the perfect fit for my new diet.
1. Info for Shrimp and Quinoa
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Shrimp and Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ pound whole raw shrimp
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound Asian greens (see tips), boiled and drained
- 1 cup straw mushrooms, halved lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons plum sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- juice of 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Making quinoa:
- Pour the broth into a saucepan. Add the quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover and lower the heat to medium-low; cook for about 20 minutes, until the liquid evaporates. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and let cool to room temperature.
- Prepping the shrimp: Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and pat dry using a paper towel. Repeat the same procedure for each shrimp. Sprinkle with red chili powder. Toss well.
- Use a wok with a matching lid. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and freshly grated ginger. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Place the shrimp all at once into the hot wok and spread them into one single layer. Pan-sear for a minute; flip the shrimp and cook for an additional minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add chili garlic sauce and plum sauce. Transfer the shrimp to a platter. Set aside.
- In the same wok, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until lightly golden. Add the straw mushrooms, greens and soy sauce. Toss well. Add the quinoa and top with the shrimp and dill. Drizzle with lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and let sit until ready to serve.
- Bon appétit!