Rau muống xào tỏi, literally fresh stir-fry pea shoot tendrils in Vietnamese is my favorite Asian vegetable. It is a staple that can be found on almost every dinner table in Vietnam. This is mostly because it is very easy to grow and very cheap in Vietnam.
In America, pea shoot tendrils can be quite expensive. I always find it interesting that foods that are considered working-class fare in their country of origin can be so expensive in other place. Maybe it’s because they are not grown in great abundance here or maybe it’s because immigrants crave the foods of their childhood and are willing to pay more for the memories.
In terms of preparation, pea shoots couldn’t be easier. Just stir-fry the vegetables very quickly over high heat. Blend in some garlic and black bean sauce and you’re set.
1. Info for Stir-Fry Pea Shoot Tendrils in Garlic and Black Bean Sauce (Rau Muong Xao)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Stir-Fry Pea Shoot Tendrils in Garlic and Black Bean Sauce (Rau Muong Xao)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs canola oil
- 2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 bunch pea shoot tendrils, rau muống, about 1 lb
- 1 1/2 tsp black bean sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- Wash the pea shoots in water several times. The greens tend to be very sandy. So wash them thoroughly. Remove and discard the fibrous and older part of the stems. Remove as much water as possible. Chop the stems into 5-inches sections.
- In a wok, heat the oil over high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until it’s slightly golden. Add the black bean sauce. Add the greens and toss the vegetables for about 3 minutes. The pea shoots are going to wilt and become transluscent. Add the soy sauce. Distribute the soy sauce evenly by stirring the greens constantly. Transfer all the pea shoots to a plate.
- Serve immediately with meat and/or tofu, steamed jasmin rice and of course some nước mắm or nước chấm (veggie version).
- Eat with chopsti